Wisconsin Border Collie Rescue Membership Application
Being a member requires active participation in a committee and an annual $15 fee. You are considered “active” if you participate in any committee at any level and participate in the business end of the rescue (voting for the board of directors and bylaws).
Complete the membership full application in the event you ever decide to foster, or to help us if we need an emergency overnight stay during a transfer.
Drue Wax, Volunteer Coordinator of WBCR, email@example.com
FOSTER HOME – You are assigned a dog (based upon your household’s abilities). You foster the dog and provide basic training (house training when needed, crate training, basic obedience/manners). Obtain vet care for the dog (expenses are covered by the rescue). Write regular updates on your foster dog’s progress along with photos for the website. Respond to emails from potential adopters requesting information about your foster. This is the heart of rescue, watching a mistreated or homeless dog blossom and see him/her find their forever home is a bittersweet experience.
POTENTIAL ADOPTER RESEARCHER – You will be assigned Potential Adopters and check their references, learn more about them in a phone conversation, and assist them through the process. This is extremely important and rewarding because you are directly involved with the adoption process.
HOME VISITS – Home visits involve going to the Potential Adopter’s home to verify premises, neighborhood, and other pets make it safe for the new dog. A home visit worksheet is provided. A fun opportunity to meet other people interested in BCs.
RELINQUISHMENT – Contacting shelters or people wanting to relinquish their dogs. Obtaining information and pictures of the dog. Evaluating a dog before it comes into the rescue to ensure it is a Border Collie. Performing a temperament test. A checklist is provided.
TRANSPORTATION – Bringing a dog into the rescue from shelters, owners, others. Taking a foster dog for a vet appointment. These may involve long drives and possibility overnight stays.
TRAINING ADVICE ASSISTANCE – Providing training advice (in person, email, or by telephone) to a Border Collie owner having difficulties. The goal is to attempt to prevent relinquishment by addressing the underlying problem. Do you have training experience that would assist you in this?
FUNDRAISING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS – Donating items or baked goods for various promotions such as rummage sales, prizes, etc. Answering questions, selling shirts, toys and other dog related items at local trials and competitions or other events. Creating flyers to be distributed at trials and events. Working with the PR committee to arrange special events. Helping with fundraising ideas.
ADOPTION FOLLOW UP – This would involve contacting past adopters and checking the progress of the dog and forwarding your report back to the group.
- I hereby agree to abide by the following terms during the time I am rescuing dogs as a representative of Wisconsin Border Collie Rescue.
- I will not sell or give away any dog to a research facility, pet shop, dog broker, puppy mill, or any other person, firm or corporation that may cause harm either mentally or physically to any dog in my care.
- I will not use any dog that comes to me through Wisconsin Border Collie Rescue for breeding purposes of my own or allow it to be used as such by any other person.
- I will remember in my dealings with the public, that I represent Wisconsin Border Collie Rescue.
- I agree to conduct my interaction with other members of the group (both on the egroup list and off) in a civilized and non-confrontational manner and will assume the best of the intentions of others. I understand that if I have a dispute or communication problem with another member, that I have a responsibility to work directly with that member to resolve the dispute. I further understand that hostile or hurtful posts to the rescue’s egroup will result in me being moderated and/or removed from the egroup and that all my communications with other members should be conducted with civility.
- I agree to submit all necessary records that I may have (i.e. relinquishment forms, vet records) related to any foster dog I may have in my care.
- I appreciate the risks involved in working with Border Collies. I understand that Wisconsin Border Collie Rescue cannot be responsible for the actions and behaviors of the dogs that it seeks to rescue, and I agree to assume the risks implicit in working with dogs which have come into the care of Wisconsin Border Collie Rescue.
- By submitting this form, I understand all of the above.